Friday, November 16, 2007

Less worried at Paris Photo

I am happy to report that Paris Photo seems to be undeterred despite all of the labor problems in the French capitol. On a selfish note, I got a cab at the airport with no delays, and my lodgings are just a few blocks from the fair. My informal sample of exhibitors and attendees yielded a few stories of long walks and frustrating waits for cabs. But overall, the stories I heard from people were positive and hassle-free.

The fair today was not elbow-to-elbow crowded, but there was a good, solid crowd all day. Many booths were quite busy and clearly there were sales happening. I asked about the professional preview, which I had missed. One gallerist said that it had been very busy, possibly because only the most serious collectors had made it a point to come. He said that the opening in the evening had been less well-attended, but the preview had made up for it. Combine that with a busy day today and I think it's safe to say that Paris Photo is alive and well. That's good news in my book. I had to miss a fun sounding collection visit/dinner this evening because there were simply no cabs to be had. I suspect there will be other stories of difficulties getting to less central satellite events, but at least the fair itself is thriving and humming with activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment