Monday, September 29, 2008

Akron Art Museum redux

I had the pleasure of revisiting the Akron Art Museum last week. I had written about this small jewel in one of my first blogs. Seeing it again, I was struck again by what a remarkable and unexpected institution this is. I am hard pressed to think of a museum in a town of this size that has such a first-class, A-list, forward-looking roster of artists in its permanent collection. And this is not a case of first rate artists represented by second rate works. As I mentioned in my previous post, we see great work by Chuck Close, Yayoi Kusama, Claus Oldenburg, and Sol Lewitt. To that list, I can add Andy Warhol, Gene Davis, Morris Louis, Nam June Paik, Robert Rauschenberg, Louise Nevelson, and a really exciting collection of photography. On view was a show of photo collages by John Heartfield that was curated entirely from the holding of the museum. WOW! If you're anywhere near Akron, Ohio, check out this museum. It's a treat. A link to the museum's website is to the right on my start menu.

Next: a blog about the current Akron Art Museum show of Jean-Pierre Gauthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment